Play can be an effective and enjoyable way for children to develop skills:
- Language skills when they play name games, sing songs, and recite jump rope rhymes.
- Thinking skills when they construct a block tower, follow directions to a game, and figure out pieces to a puzzle.
- Small-muscle skills when they string beads, make clay figures, and cut with scissors.
- Large-muscle skills when they play ball, roller skate, and run relay races.
- Creative skills when they make up stories, put on a puppet show, and play with dress-ups.
- Social skills when they team up to play ball games, discuss rules for a card game, and decide who will play what part in dramatic play